In 2020 the Red Cross of Serbia conducted research on the impacts and effects of informal care on caregivers’ in particular during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Identify common informal caregiver mental health needs
- Measure the incidence of symptoms of burnout and depression among informal caregivers
- Identify informal caregivers that are under increased health risk
- Examine the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on the quality of life of informal caregivers
- Develop a set of recommendations to improve the quality of life of informal caregivers, the quality of care provided and to reduce the risk from abuse of older and other persons they provide care
- Ensure better understanding among the public, professionals, decision-makers as well as informal caregivers themselves about the caregivers’ needs to preserve their mental health and the necessary support services in the public and civil sectors.
The outcome will be used to support recommendations for public policy planning and the development of appropriate support services.
The research report has been translated into English and is available here