OFF TO SPAS - Thermal tourism for seniors
AGE is involved in OFF TO SPAS project on senior tourism. OFF TO SPAS aims at developing a Central European transnational balneological tourism product for seniors focusing on two spa destinations, Heviz in Hungary, and Covasna in Romania. The project is funded by the European COSME programme (agreement n° 676737).
Started on 1 August 2015 and lasting 15 months, OFF TO SPAS will contribute to the development of health tourism among older persons and support European initiatives to develop low and medium season tourism. The project is implemented in the cooperation with 7 partners coming from 4 countries:
- Pannon University (project coordinator), Hungary
- Hévíz Tourism Non-profit Ltd., Hungary
- Zala County, Hungary
- AGE Platform Europe
- Consiliul Judetean Covasna, Romania
- Asociatia Pentru Dezvoltarea Turismului in Judetul Covasna, Romania
- Travel Specialist Group Sweden AB, Sweden
The overarching goal of the project is to create a Central European transnational balneological tourism product for seniors that extends the market of medicinal and thermal tourism to those sending areas where the demand for medicinal and wellness tourism related to natural waters can be increased.
Objectives of the project
- create a tourism product network that takes into account the special needs of the older age group,
- improve the number and quality of the cooperation between the members of the tourism value chain and senior organisations/associations,
- increase the turnover of low or medium tourism in order to improve the effectiveness and competitiveness of tourism SMEs,
- promote tourism as the strategy of active and healthy ageing,
- increase the professionalism of the tourism service providers in order to ensure the sustainability and self-development of the project.
The following activities will be implemented by the partners:
- Conducting research in support of the health tourism development: market study on seniors’ needs and expectations, surveys, comparative analyses, and workshop. AGE, together with the travel agency Travel Specialist Group Sweden AB, will support these research activities.
- Creating and testing a balneological tourism product, - through the example of Hévíz and Covasna - which offers relevant and qualitative offer for older persons,
- Developing marketing and sales channels, as well as building the case for health tourism based on recognised spa destinations to contribute to the EU agenda on active and healthy ageing and low/medium season tourism
Visit the website of the project here
Discover the OFF TO SPAS healing destinations in Hungary and Romania in the introductory videos below:
- EN: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tybLQKef0fE&feature=youtu.be
- DE: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wns9ECivJp4&feature=youtu.be
- SE: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5kMRTypS1k&feature=youtu.be
For more information, please contact Ophelie Durand at email@example.com