On 9-10 November the final conference of the DISCIT project presented in Brussels the outcome of its work on how to achieve full and effective participation of persons with disabilities in society and the economy.
Bringing together universities, research institutes and civil society organisations, the project compared the life course experiences of people with disabilities in Norway, Germany, the Czech Republic, Ireland, Italy, Sweden, the United Kingdom and Serbia, which provided the basis for the project outcomes. AGE Platform Europe was involved in the DISCIT European Stakeholder Committee, bringing the views of older persons with disabilities.
The project final conference in Brussels includes five sessions served to present and discuss the research results in the areas of community living; labour market participation; and accessibility, as well as discuss the specific challenges of people with psycho-social disabilities and the role of national and European NGOs. The closing panel focused on the future and how DISCIT outcomes can be used by researchers, policymakers and practitioners. Featuring representatives of civil society, academia, industry and EU institutions, the conference reflected the inter-disciplinary approach of the project.
In the remaining two months of the project, partners will work towards translating the project outcomes into policy recommendations. During the project lifetime the following policy briefs were produced, which can serve as useful tools to understand and influence policy development in line with the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (UNCRPD).
- «Active Citizenship as Political participation»(Available in- PDF and Word. September 2015)
- «Active Citizenship by Fiscal innovation»(Available in English – PDFWord. September 2015)
- «Active Citizenship through the use of new technologies»(Available in English – PDFWord. September 2015)
- «Second general policy brief» (Available in Czech – PDF and Word, English – PDFWord, German – PDF and Word, Italian – PDF and Word, Norwegian Bokmål – PDF and Word, Serbian – PDF and Word, Swedish – PDF and Word. December 2014)
- «General policy brief available in accessible electronic format and in the national languages of the NSCs» (Available in Czech – PDFWord, English – PDF and Word, German – PDF and Word, Italian – PDF and Word, Norwegian Bokmål – PDF and Word, Serbian – PDF and Word, and Swedish – PDF and Word. April 2014)
- «Change and current status in the life course of persons with psycho-social disabilities» (Available in English – PDF and Word. September 2014)
- «Diversity and change in the labour market careers of persons with disabilities» (Available in English – PDF and Word. September 2014)
- «Active citizenship as community living» (Available in English – PDF and Word. September 2014)