We work to ensure that the voice of older people is taken into account in European policies that affect them. In line with our mission and core values, the ultimate goal of our work is to promote a society for all ages in which everyone has equal opportunities to be included and participate at all stages of their lives. To achieve this, we support throughout our work a rights-based and life-course approach to ageing.
AGE objectives for 2022
In 2022, our work will be organised around the following objectives:
Promoting age equality in an ageing EU
- Advocating for the adoption of a EU Age Equality Strategy that will help to mainstream ageing and advance equality and human rights at all ages in all EU actions.
- Advocating to increase the political support for a UN Convention on the rights of older persons and contributing to the review of the Madrid International Plan for Action on Ageing (MIPAA).
- Developing advocacy training and toolkits on age equality and the human rights-based approach to ageing, including through specific projects namely ECE-POP, Agisme dans le Gard and Smart Against Ageism.
Ensuring equal participation and autonomy of older people
- Influencing the content of the upcoming EU Care Strategy based on our vision of long-term care. This common vision of care for older people, rooted in empowerment and autonomy, will also guide us in different EU-funded research projects like InAdvance, SHAPES, ValueCare.
- Compiling inspiring practices in employment as part of the AGE Barometer 2023.
- Highlighting barriers, such as ageism and the lack of accessibility, to a true digital revolution. Through various EU-funded projects, such as FAITh, e-VITA, Urbanage, Pharaon and SHAPES, AGE will root for more inclusive societies, also through the use of digital technologies.
Raising the voice of older people experiencing multiple discrimination
- Raising the voice of older people experiencing multiple discrimination, namely reviewing the EU Gender Strategy from an ageing perspective.
- Supporting research work on fighting racism and hate speech through the project Smart for Democracy and Diversity.
Making our voice stronger
Our internal efforts will be equally strategic to improve our sustainability, secure our independence and develop our sphere of influence
- Revising our working methods and tools to improve the ownership and capacity of our members to engage with the network.
- Developing peer support and knowledge transfer between our members
- Reaching out to new partners to diversify our sources of income and increasing the number of older people we represent.
AGE internal strategy for 2022-2025
Our yearly objectives ensue from our internal 4-year strategic plan. drafted and adopted by AGE members.
Discover our work!