The announcement of the Russian invasion of Ukraine in February came as a shock to the world and an unprecedented violation of the international rules guaranteeing the respect of democracy and peace.
Together with our members in Eastern Europe and our global partner HelpAge International, we have been monitoring the situation, raising awareness on the dramatic situation of older people in Ukraine and calling for their equal access to humanitarian aid.
Read our positions
Briefs and statements
- Older Persons in Ukraine and EU Neighbouring Countries, Brief #2, Nov. 2022
- Older Persons in Ukraine and EU Neighbouring Countries, Brief #1, May 2022
- AGE and MEPs call for Older Ukrainians to receive equal support, 29 April 2022
- Ukraine: the ‘oldest’ humanitarian crisis in the world, 15 March 2022
- Ukraine: AGE members react and offer support, 15 March 2022
- We express our solidarity with the Ukrainian people, 25 February 2022
> Civil society’s initiatives and reactions:
- European Disability Forum supports 2.7 Million people with disabilities, Nov. 2022
- Social Platform calls for EU Solidarity Strategy in response to the war, May 2022
- HelpAge International reports on the impact of the war on older people, April 2022
- European Public Health Alliance calls on the international community, the EU, and member states to protect the health of all people affected by the crisis in Ukraine, March 2022
- HelpAge International assesses needs for older people in Ukraine, March 2022
> Official statements:
- Joint Statement by UN independent experts, 4 March 2022
- Statement by the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, 3 March 2022
- Statement by the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, 28 February 2022
> Resource hubs:
- UNHCR's Resources on older persons
- UNHCR's Guidelines for older refugees
- European Commission's Information for people fleeing the war in Ukraine
- Fundamental Rights Agency (FRA)'s publication on "What are the key fundamental rights risks at the EU-Ukraine borders?"
- UN Decade on Healthy Ageing topic hub on older people and emergency situations
- Emergency webinar on vulnerable older people in Ukraine
- Alzheimer Europe's resources to support people with dementia and carers
> Background information:
- AGE Platform Europe's Summary of the #AgeingEqual campaign focus on ageism and migration
- Human Rights Watch's Report "Abuses Against Older People in Armed Conflict"