#OneVoiceOneCause for victims' rights across Europe
Together with NGO partners, including AGE Platform Europe, Victim Support Europe is seizing the momentum of the European Day for Victims of Crime on 22 February to launch the 6-day awareness-raising campaign and action week ‘One Voice One Cause’ calling to reinforce victims' rights in Europe.
The objective of this campaign, running from 17 February to 22 February, is three-fold:
- encourage people everywhere in the EU to learn about victims’ rights,
- give victims a platform to speak out about issues they are going through
- advance the implementation of the EU Victims Rights Directive adopted by EU leaders in 2012 to ensure that victims across European borders have equal access to support services
The campaign is conducted across major social media platforms: Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram and invites invites netizens to create and share content during the action week, using the hashtag #onevoiceonecause.
AGE has joined the campaign to shed light on the older persons that are victims of abuse and crime, in particular those whose situations of dependency and care needs make specially vulnerable to this type of human rights violation.
Together with our campaign partners, we have issued a joint NGO statement, in which we seize the momentum of the EU Day to call for a wide and comprehensive implementation of the rights and guarantees introduced by the 2012 European Union Directive on Victims’ Rights. This legal instrument ensures a level-playing field for the protection of victims of crime in European Union countries. Many efforts are still needed though to make the provisions of this Directive a reality in practice… and make them relevant to victims of elder abuse.
Read also :
- AGE Position Paper: Victims’ rights: let’s not forget the victims of elder abuse!
- AGE Ageing Equal campaign: focus on ageism & elder abuse