Between 1st October 2018, the International Day of Older Persons and 10th December 2018, the 70th anniversary of the International Human Rights Day, AGE Platform Europe, with the support of its partners and fellow civil society organisations, is launching a 70-day campaign against ageism.
10th December 2018 will mark the 70th anniversary of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights which was adopted by the United Nations General Assembly on 10th December 1948 in Paris, France.
The Declaration sets out universal individual rights a person is entitled to as a human being, regardless of his/her age, nation, location, language, religion, ethnic origin or any other status. It a key milestone document, which underpins all international human rights law and policy work to ensure all people can live in freedom, equality and dignity.
The celebration of this 70th anniversary offers a great reminder that human rights do not diminish with age!
The campaign in practice
The campaign will last 70 days, starting on the International Day of Older Persons on from 1st October, the International Day of Older Persons, to 10th December 2018.
Each of the 10 weeks of the campaign will cover a specific theme to illustrate the widespread effect of ageism and how it affects different groups in society. Equality bodies and fellow civil society organisations are invited to support and provide contribution from the perspective of their own communities.
Take action against ageism!
The campaign will be mainly conducted on social media. A dedicated blog will provide regular updates on the campaign and its different themes to approach the issue of ageism through different angles. You are more than welcome to add your own perspective and help us spread the word about ageism!
You can get involved in the campaign by:
- Sharing your stories and testimonies about your experience of age discriminations and how you’re acting against pervasive ageism;
- Spreading the word about the campaign and its key messages through your own channels and social media building up on the material available on the campaign blog and using the hashtag #AgeingEqual.
- Adding the campaign logo in your social media profile picture thanks to Twibbon. A Twibbon is a temporary overlay to your existing social media profile picture. You can use the Twibbon only for the day in which your post will be out, a longer period or even during the whole campaign.
To add a Twibbon with the campaign logo, visit this page.
- AGE campaign blog: https://ageing-equal.org/
- Campaign communication toolkit: trello.com/b/q14dqegb
- AGE press release to launch the campaign
- Official website of the UDHR 70th anniversary
- Older Persons' Self-Advocacy Handbook on human rights