'Innovative housing transportation and innovative buildings programmes that make our cities accessible to all are urgently needed. Urban spaces have to be resilient and accessible to older persons, if we want to build inclusive, dynamic, resilient and sustainable cities and communities', Rosa Kornfeld-Matte, UN Independent Expert on the enjoyment of all human rights by older persons.
Accessibility, mobility and new technologies are key components to enable older people to be actively involved in society, to age healthier and to remain independent. If some EU countries have already invested in these areas to alleviate the burden on care systems, it is not the case all over the European Union.
This area covers many EU policies and initiatives in which AGE and its dedicated task force is involved with the following key objectives:
- Supporting initiatives aiming at improving accessibility
- Implementation of the newly adopted Directive for the accessibility of public sector website;
- Adoption of an ambitious Accessibility Act;
- Participation in the development of the Mandate 473 to include "Design for all" in relevant standardization initiatives;
- Supporting the work carried out by Peter Rayner (UK) and Frans Moltzer (NL) together with the European Railway Agency and the European Commission towards the implementation of the Technical Specification of Interoperability - Persons with reduced mobility (TSI PRM);
- Participation into the European Access City Award.
- Providing with the perspectives of older people in the area of new technologies:
- Participation in the work carried out by the Euro Retail Payments Board on mobile payment;
- Contribute to the rolling plan developed by the Multi-Stakeholder Platform on ICT Standardisation;
- Participation in the Advisory Board of the Active and Assisted Living Programme;
Obviously the work developed in these areas is strongly connected with AGE's work on age-friendly environments as well as with the contribution made to the European Innovation Partnership on Active and Healthy Ageing and to the emerging European Silver Economy Strategy.
Responsible staff member: Julia Wadoux, Julia.email@example.com